General Motors Supplemental On-Call Engineers (Part-time) - MAN0026629 in Ft Wayne, Indiana
As state-of-the-art technologies continue to transform the automotive industry, GM is committed to maintaining its position as an industry leader and establishing its innovative vision for the future of transportation. Learn more at http://careers.gm.com.
Supplemental On-Call Engineer- Part Time
Supplemental On-Call Engineers are part-time employees that are expected to work flexible hours. This includes the ability to work any of our three shifts and weekends. Supplemental employees are not eligible for the GM Benefits Program; however, they are paid a highly competitive rate of pay.
This role will not be eligible for or offer relocation
Supervise a medium size group of employees in a skilled area of work which involves the construction, repair and maintenance of plant and equipment. Work is of a technical nature with decisions made within the limits of general procedures and specifications. Some direct guidance received from supervisor. Work is of a difficult and involved nature where a high level of independent judgment and discretion are exercised.
Scope of Responsibilities:
• Promotes, educates, communicates and follows-up on safety initiatives for all contracting and maintenance activities. Maintains operational safety and good housekeeping standards at all times.
• Communicates between shifts and departments to better understand customer needs and/or perceptions, implement best practices, resolve problems, and sustain consistent performance to business objectives.
• Supervises construction and maintenance projects and assures implementation of common mechanical designs for new and revised tooling, process equipment, and conveyors.
• Assists in the coordination of project planning between plant, headquarters, maintenance and contractor resources (including paragraph 183 contractual requirements)
• Responsible for diagnosis of equipment malfunctions and provides technical input for problem resolution that will improve the design, build, and maintenance of existing and new equipment.
• Responsible for the effective use of personnel, material and equipment, while providing technical support, direction, and training to maintenance and tech support personnel in the production departments.
• Works with Vehicle Systems engineers to resolve issues.
• Meets schedule and quality requirements
• Complies with the terms of local and national labor agreements
• Implements divisional and Corporate policies
• Frequent contact with others outside the work group
• Establishes a course of action to accomplish completion of the job and/orproject
• Maintain work load schedule
• Knowledge of manufacturing processes and procedure
• Knowledge of basic math
• High level oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of basic technology of area where assigned
• Knowledge of scheduling and other management systems
• High level analytical ability where problems are complex
• High level interpersonal skills to work effectively with all levels of the organization, motivate employees and elicit work output
• Knowledge of quality control procedures
Education and Training
• High school graduate or equivalent training, plus additional training such as that acquired in the first one or two years of technical or business school
• Completion of recommended Corporate training programs
• Experience supervising employees in a union environment
• Experience supervising employees in a manufacturing environment
• College degree preferred