United States Steel Student Employee in Gary, Indiana
10761BRJob Description:Located in Northwest Indiana to include Gary and Portage, the Plant Process Control Intern position at United States Steel Corporation affords the opportunity to apply educational experiences to real world industrial applications.
This assignment is for CURRENT STUDENTS looking for a paid internship that offers personal and professional development. We are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment.
The successful candidate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement.
Experiences are offered that encompass both existing system maintenance/enhancements, as well as ground up design, development and installation of new systems and processes, focused on productivity and quality improvements. Strong mentoring by seasoned Control Engineers ensures a mutually beneficial work experience.
Experience gained may include, but is not limited to the following:
• Accurately design, develop and implement programs and systems to meet identified current and future business needs in accordance with current software development standards and standard operating procedures
• Refine and maintain system software used to control process equipment and by modifying existing programs
• Analyze and diagnose computer malfunctions and perform necessary corrective measures to efficiently return equipment and/or machinery to operational state that satisfies management objectives
• Monitor and conduct necessary tests to assure digital systems are functioning properly
• Collaborate with supervisors, operating personnel, and other maintenance personnel regarding system maintenance issues, as well as system enhancement requests
• Perform specialized analysis and prepare written reports regarding test results and malfunctions encountered with equipment, offering recommendations for improvements
Candidates must be a full-time student pursuing a bachelor or master’s degree majoring in one of the following: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, or other IT/Engineering-related discipline.
• Candidates must be a current student
• Completed their sophomore year by December 2020
• Be in good academic standing
• Be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
• Must attach a recent transcript and any other related information to your application.
• May roll into a year-round internship for the successful candidateAuto req ID:10761BRRequisition Type:US-Non-ExemptPosting Title:Student Intern - Plant ProcessesState/Province:US - INWork Location - City:Gary Company Overview:Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.Preferred Skills:In addition, a successful intern will have:
• A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
• A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
• An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
• A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
• Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
• The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Leadership and strong decision-making skills
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tacticallyCompetency Summary:Think: Think Critically and Drive Change
Lead: Develop Talent and Collaborate
Do: Empower Performance and Deliver ResultsEqual Employment Opportunity:U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.
(California residents may visit www.ussteel.com/CANotice for information regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)Job Category:Student EmploymentDiversity Commitment:UNITED BY STEEL - We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace culture and celebrate the diversity of our employees. We are all responsible to live these principles and lead by example as we prioritize the physical and psychological safety of every team member.